Fire Safety Permit Process
The requirements below apply to Hopewell Township, Hopewell & Pennington Boroughs
Operation of a mobile food unit requires a fire safety permit and fire safety inspection each individual time the mobile food unit sets up to operate at any and all locations in Hopewell Township, Hopewell Borough and Pennington Borough. The information below outlines what is required at the time of application and the process of inspections.
If your vehicle prepares food using fuel fired appliances or a free-standing generator you are required to obtain a Fire Safety Permit from the Hopewell Valley Bureau of Fire Safety as per the Uniform Fire Code. (If the event occurs on State owned property, you will need to contact the NJ Division of Fire Safety. This permit is issued per occurrence of setting up and operating. N.J.A.C.5:70-2.7
The inspector will conduct an on-site inspection the day of the event once the vehicle is set up. The inspector will conduct a basic Fire Prevention inspection of the vehicle to verify that the life safety features comply with the NJ Uniform Fire Code. This includes but is not limited to the suppression system having a valid 6-month certification, required professional cleaning of the cooking hood and ventilation system, along with the proper and currently inspected fire extinguishers on board. You will need to submit and have approvals/inspections for the following:
Type 1 Fire Safety Permit Application (Click Here)
- Fee: $65 payable to HTFD#1 (Local Ordinance #10-3.9 Uniform Fire Safety Code Fees)
- A current cooking suppression system inspection report (without deficiencies) must be submitted with the fire safety permit application.
- The fire safety application and fee are due not less than 14 business days before the scheduled event. Late applications will be denied.
(Application fees are NON-REFUNDABLE)
- If there is any missing information or questions, an inspector will contact the vendor to clarify any question or issues with the application. Please ensure that there is a working email address and phone number on the application.
- Once the application is reviewed and deemed complete the truck will be added to our inspection schedule for the date of operation.
- A fire safety inspection will take place on the day of operation once the mobile unit (food truck) is fully set up
Cooking is NOT permitted until the fire safety inspection is complete.