Vital Records & Statistics

Our window is open for in-person birth, marriage, or death certificate issuance ONLY on the following days and times: 

Monday AND Wednesday 1pm – 4pm, Friday 9 – 12 Noon 


Births, marriages, and deaths are permanently recorded by the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality in which they actually take place. A fee and specific information are required to obtain a certified copy of any of these documents. Township records begin in 1921.

Please Note: Vital records are not open public records, so staff are not able to verify specific records over the phone. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Protecting each individual's privacy and the security of their vital documents is of the utmost importance.

Marriage Licenses

A New Jersey marriage license is issued to each couple by the Registrar in the municipality where one applicant resides.  If the applicants live in two municipalities within New Jersey, you can choose between the two communities. Out-of-state residents planning on getting married in New Jersey must apply in the municipality in which the marriage is to take place.

Additional Information

Additional information on obtaining copies of birth, marriage, and death records is available at this link- State of New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. For further information on office hours, procedures, and fees, call the Hopewell Township Registrar at 609-537-0284.

The NJ Office of Vital Statistics and Registry also keeps a record of vital events that have taken place in Hopewell Township; vital records may also be obtained through their office.  If you want to place your request directly through the NJ Office of Vital Statistics and Registry, please visit their website:  Please note, Hopewell Township has no involvement with any requests placed directly with the NJ Office of Vital Statistics and Registry, therefore we cannot check on the status of a request placed through that office.  If you are planning on presenting the vital record to a foreign country that is part of the Hague Treaty, you will need an Apostille Seal.  Any request requiring an Apostille Seal must be placed with the NJ Office of Vital Statistics, not Hopewell Township.  Please check with the consulate of the foreign country where you intend on presenting the vital record if you are unsure.