Maintain Township roads, right-of-ways, all properties and buildings including water and sewer that the Township owns in the safest and most effective way, maintaining the highest level of service to the Hopewell Township taxpayers and transit traffic. Ensure that all employees are kept informed regarding all PEOSHA rules for their safety and health.
What We Do
The Hopewell Township Public Works Department provides maintenance services to all Township roads, storm sewers, and sanitary sewer distribution lines. The Department maintains and provides services for traffic and street sign posting, sight distance and road shoulder clearing, street sweeping, road striping, pot hole patching, chip seal, snow and ice removal. Public Works is also responsible for the maintenance of the buildings owned by the Township and the lands surrounding them. Certain public works employees are shared with the regional recreation department to maintain Township parks and playing fields and assist with recreation activities.
In addition to these responsibilities, Public Works provides for the collection of Freon appliances, tires, brush, and leaves. We also operate recycling events twice a year for the drop off of shredding and recycling of electronics.
The Public Works Building includes a vehicle maintenance facility where Township mechanics maintain the Township fleet and many pieces of public works equipment. The Department also has a sign making facility.
Short Range Goals & Objectives
- Continue to educate the taxpayer's the duties of the Public Works Department
- Continue to provide ongoing safety related information
- Keep accurate records for all jobs performed
- Keep an open mind for suggestions given by employee's
- Keep up with all NJDEP standards
- Keep up-to-date with the Tier A Municipal Storm Water Regulation Program
Long Range Goals & Objectives
- Continue the ten year overlay program and three year Chip Seal Program that is already in place
- Continue to find suitable land to start an Ecological Center for the Township residents, Hopewell Boro, Pennington Boro, and any other surrounding municipalities that would like to participate
- Continue to keep up with 10-year vehicle replacement program
- Continue to seek for the newest technology available for the benefit of the Township and its employees
- To implement a tree maintenance program for all right-of-ways on all Township roads. By doing this, our roadways will be safer to travel and help with costs of overtime. Purchase a bucket truck or contract a "long term" tree trimming service